Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dynamic Priorities?

If you are looking for techie stuff, this is not the correct link. Sorry!

So what exactly am I talking about?
I'm talking about the choices we need to make / the priorities that need to be revised/revisited in our day-to-day lives (dynamically).

Life is full of choices - why? isn't what you get to do in the next hour, your choice? or may be atleast somebody else's choice imposed on you? ;)


Its ultimately your choice to have a healthy lifestyle (or not to?), to excersie , to spend the day the way you want to, or to be happy or not to? My observation is, typically, people are very clear (I'd say at a very high level), about their general priorities revolving around family/career/health. I'd call it a hypothetical situation.Why? Because lost in our daily humdrum, we (yes, that includes me) never actually pay much attention to what is more important or dear to us!

X wants to spend more time with the kids but couldn't due to demands of his ambitious business venture.
Y wants to take aerobic classes, but just could not, due to work related stresses.
Z wants to wake up early everyday..only that 'day' is yet to come!


So what does one gather from these different scenarios? That sometimes (or is it most of the times?) we just plainly stop seeing our actual priorities due to demands from other spheres of our lives.....only to wake up one day and start cribbing?
What could be the reason?
Heres a definition from Physics

Inertia : The innate force of matter is a power of resisting, by which every body, endeavors to preserve in its present state, whether it be of rest, or of moving uniformly forward in a straight line.

Yes! the culprit is inertia to change,to revisit our priorities dynamically...or so I believe :)
I'd encourage readers of this blog to kick off a discussion (in the form of comments),so as to get different perspectives.

Adios!

9 comments:

Prashant said...

Yes. It's all about priorities. Someone may think doing average in studies is okay instead of having no fun. However, the fact that we need to prioritize reminds us that we are mortals and that we are limited by time and resources. We cannot do everything we want to do. We need to choose what to do and what not.

Unknown said...

Laziness RULES!!! Who would say no to a cozy little bed with soft sheets and comforters :D But (sigh!) all good things must come to an end (such as sleep). I am reading the book "Life of Pi" right now..and the author talks about the laziest animal in the world..The three-toed sloth ...and I guess it's getting some stiff competition from the human race! Change is often difficult for people, and they resist it defiantly. My husband ( who read this somewhere) told me that if we take up a priority, ( say, getting up early in the morning) and doing it continuously for 21 days makes you automatically do it and it becomes a habit rather than a task.So 21 is the magic number :) . Let me know if it works! (I've been too lazy to try ;) :P) .

P.S: Since I've been forced to read your blog ( as you almost shoved the website url onto my face with your blatant publicity on gtalk status)..I must say that it does make a pretty good read and you are on your way to becoming a seasoned writer. Please do write more often! Mmuah!
-Deepti

Lavanya said...

eeehahha! thats called marketing ;)

Narendra said...

This blog reminds me of the quote "I postpone what i want to do for what i have to do" which is seen in my adjacent cubicle :-)

Anonymous said...

The culprit which you think is "inertia to change" .. i think has one more parent called ignorance ..

when I am clear that .. what I planned is very important for me and there is no alternative .. no compromise .. no escape .. I do it ..

I compromise when I am not REALLY SURE ... i bring in justifications .. to skip it ! :-) ..

so, I think clarity is the key .. if I decide on things just because they are considered "good to do" .. I have not understood PROPERLY why they are good to do! ..

when I understand it myself .. I think IT JUST HAPPENS ..

waking up is a classic example .. I tried and tried .. but never worked .. one day when I was speaking to someone .. i realized that one of the important reasons why they say one should wake up early is .. because after sunrise, the thing in stomach starts decomposing and is sufficient to lead to many other issues .. apart from spoiling the day! .. and the very next day onwards we see it happen! .. what else .. one cannot sleep after (after sunrise) that! :P ...

Lavanya said...

Yeah..I have to agree that most of the times the biggest contributor to "inertia to change" is ignorance.
But this is not true with everybody. Some people still fall into the inertial trap, knowing fully well what they are getting themselves into. I term this mental lethargy. I'm not able to point to a proper example just now, so will leave a comment as and when I get it.
Thanks anonymous, for bringing in this point. I'd prefer it if you publish your name, but that's totally up to you.

Anonymous said...

you rightly gave the term .. the crux is in knowing .. vs knowing "fully" !! ...

I think .. if one knows fully .. there is no escape ..

if one is not doing it .. that means he does not know it FULLY ! .. only the day when one knows all the aspects of something, he would do it properly ..

but again that raises a question that .. should I wait until I understand it totally ? A classic question is .. I have power .. and responsibility in my hands .. should I wait until I know properly what is good for everyone .. or should I go ahead and do what I know "now" .. is good for everyone ..

I feel we can go ahead and start doing something .. and at the same time be open to learn ... even to the extent of acknowledging that all I did was not correct .. and here is what I think now is correct ..

I think .. in practise both go hand in hand .. learning .. and doing ... so I think we learn while we do ..

too abstract :-) but I guess thats how the thread is ..

Unknown said...

Yes, the 21 days thing works. Otherwise I was as lazy as the animal that came in the discussion.

Anonymous also mentioned a good point.."when I understand it myself .. I think IT JUST HAPPENS .. " Thanks Anonymous.
Reinterpreting the same thing to .. "Experiencing the difference when we do it and not do it.."

So, finally I think this combination should work...
"Experience the difference" + "Make it a habbit of doing the thing which we wanted to (may be with the aid of 21 days tool-:)"

Looks so trivial to solve it but I am sure that the success percent will be in the lower part of the singular digits! Interesting thing is that every knows what to do..-:)

Again another complex topic by Lavanya after "The Pursuit.."! Get going...

Lavanya said...

Thanks everyone, for the discussion and also for bringing up other points that I have missed.