Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Silent? not anymore!

Tired and bored after a hectic day at work, my husband and I crashed in front of the TV for some respite.While flipping through the channels, a cute little elephant on Nat-Geo caught our attention.
This little fellow is an orphan rescued by one of the organizations. He lost his parents, thanks to the endless greed of our 'great' human race.

As the show went on, I made a chilling discovery. After being a silent witness to heavy poaching for over two decades, this creature is up for a revenge on the humans! In Uganda,elephant numbers have never been lower or food more plentiful, yet it is observed that these creatures blocked roads, trampled through villages & destroyed crop, apparently without cause or motivation.
To me, elephant is a benevolent giant. Except in a few rare cases (I thought), where an elephant is crazy, he wouldn't attack the humans or for that matter, any species. This show added a whole new dimension to my thinking!


In India, elephants are worshiped and considered sacred.Ganesha Chaturthi is one of the biggest festivals this country celebrates. However, unfortunately, this country also witnessed a lot of elephant poaching, which is evident from their diminishing numbers.

Greed for more has always pushed man to commit some of the deadliest crimes against nature. It is established that the once thriving species like tiger,elephants are very fast becoming endangered. Given all this, I wonder whats happening to man's compassion towards animals? What is the common man doing about this? Is he ignorant? Empathetic? It upsets me when I come across articles like this in the newspaper: Memorial amidst tiger reserve.
Are we protesting against this? What can we do about it? How can we make our voices heard? My search is still on...



8 comments:

Unknown said...

You can join WPSI(WILDLIFE PROTECTION SOCIETY OF INDIA)to make your voice heard.

Poaching is mainly because of the superstitious beliefs of higher class people. Deforestation is also a major issue. Humans want more and more space so they are pushing other creatures out of Earth. Only a person/govt can't avoid this situation. Every one should raise their voice against this and start protecting at least the remaining animals....

Anonymous said...

It would be good to know what I can do .. something like
1) ..
2) ...
and can you elaborate what you mean by raising voice ...

Lavanya said...

I meant how can we voice out our opinions. For example, consider 'Memorial amidst tiger reserve' - I'm totally against the idea of building a memorial there. I don't want to feel helpless and frustrated about it. I want to see if I can do something about it,rather. So, in that case, how can I make my protest heard? What else can I do?

Anonymous said...

Right Ms Lavanya, even I am asking Mr Viswanath the same thing. What do I need to do to voice my opinion?

Actually yesterday I was thinking about this and I got an idea, one way could be to write to the concerned, it is a different thing whether it is heard or not. I think writing is our responsibility.

Writing a letter or an email to the authorities. If lakhs of people are doing it, how can it not be heard. If this thing can be brought into the culture of our friends, that whenever there is a concern, one can take a 50paise postcard and express it to the concerned people.

Unknown said...

Lavanya, Is it not because you don't like YSR ?..:) Yeah..I agree, its ridiculous to have memorial for any political leader in the midst of a wild life sanctuary! What to do, we have stupid leaders like this. I guess we have a way (an efficient way) to protest( or instigate action against these things). That is PIL (Public Interest Litigation). All we need to do is to find a proper layer, once filed I think it will take its own course as far as I know, we dont have to worry about following it up I guess. I also came across a similar scenario.. our AP govt was digging a huge tunnel in the same Nallamala forest(about 6 mons back) to carry Krishna water to some other place. They bought a biggest tunnel bore for this and carrying out the work in the forest. For its noise the habitat got disturbed and people have seen Tigers crossing the road on Kurnool highway or near to that. Mutiple instance of this were reported, no body gives a heed to this.., not sure what is the state of it now. Good to hear ppl raising concerns ont this.., may be its time for action, who rings the bell first scenario.

Unknown said...

Habitat protection is one of the most important issues that our Forest department and the WPSI needs to address.Tigers are almost on the verge of extinction now ( about 25 tigers were poached in the Sariska National Park in around 2005) This is a horrifying but sad truth. It is important to remember that these are "wild" animals and need their own habitat to live in peacefully.Unless environmentalists come forward to do something about the memorial, I guess it's gonna be built anyways , thanks to some YSR's and Congress Party's crazed fanatics.

Unknown said...

Environmental authorities would not be accepting this demand.. I read in 'The Hindu' that it is highly unlikely to get an apprval for this one. I doubt the proposal even moved further to the next step, after the paper statement.., political gymmics. In case of it moving further you all have to sign up on the PIL I would be filing on this one! Okay? Haha.. just kidding -:)

Lavanya said...

Thanks to all who posted your comments on this blog. Thanks especially to Vissu, for the WPSI info (I'm yet to figure out how I can use WPSI though)